The night before Thanksgiving. It’s past my bed time, but I’ve been cooking since midday and M’s been cooking since he got home from work and I’m a bit buzzy right now and all I can think about is tomorrow’s menu.
Here’s what’ll be weighing down our table tomorrow afternoon:
- Favorite local cheeses, plus one exotic Spanish blue (Valdeon), and a sampling of olives, pickles, and other little tastes
- Chestnut soup, made from oven-roasted chestnuts and leeks
- Turkey, brined in salt water, apple cider, and spices tonight, then cooked on the Big Green Egg with wood charcoal and pecan chips tomorrow
- Stuffing, baked in the oven rather than in the bird
- Mashed potatoes, skins off, a little butter, a little milk, a little salt
- Brussels sprouts, roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, maple syrup, and little pieces of bacon
- Green beans in a sesame sauce
- Cranberry sauce, made from whole cranberries, cooked in a water and sugar syrup
- Parker House rolls, made with this amazing buttermilk
- Apple pie, made from the best pie apples there be: Golden Russets
- Pumpkin pie
- Lemon Confit Shortbread tart, which I just found out about today (courtesy of my friend, Cindy) and I just had to make
Even if I only take a small taste of each dish, I won’t be able to move. Until the evening, of course, when it’ll be time to have my favorite Thanksgiving food of all: turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce wrapped in a warm corn tortilla.
What’s on your Thanksgiving menu?